earth query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a new metal light fitting in our living room, so went into attic to check everything was ok with wiring. As you probably guessed there was no earth, well there was but it was lying on the loft insulation :confused: .
So my question is can I connect a earth wire to the earth from the light fitting, run my new earth wire across the attic and drop it to an earth connection newly fitted to our central heating pipework (cold water pipe I think) which in turn runs directly to our junction box/fuse box in the porch.

I have read about stealing the earth from other circuits in certain circumstances causing the metal light fitting to become live but would this occur in this particular case? as the earth from the light fitting is directly connected to an earth connector on a copper water pipe as opposed to a light switch or other such electrical circuits. Please somebody help :( .

Sponsored Links
It would be OK for temporary measure only, but it does need its own CPC (circuit protective conductor).....Looks like you going to be busy this weekend.......If you use the pipework your relying on this to disconnect the circuit under fault conditions and it may not blow or trip your fuse/MCB...

Sponsored Links
Breezer is correct. I would never do this. If someone disconnects the earth to the central heating for any reason, they are inadvertently disconnecting the earth to this light without realising it. This is not acceptable.

Have a good one

P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back