Earth spike for outbuilding?

I guess that would be the electrician who's going to connect it all up.
Probably.

But not if the whole thing comes as a surprise to him.

All I will be doing is the dirty work. Chasing walls, fitting back boxes and running and fixing cables. I will have someone in to fit a New cu and terminate all the sockets etc.
You can't do the former unless you've already agreed it with the person doing the latter.

BC will be notified before I start.
Which means you'll need definite proposals regarding responsibility for, and certification of, design, construction, inspection and testing which your LABC will have to approve.

Sponsored Links
BC will be notified before I start.
Which means you'll need definite proposals regarding responsibility for, and certification of, design, construction, inspection and testing which your LABC will have to approve.

I have just spoke to Building Control regarding this, and provided the installation is done by a Part P electrician who is a member of NICEEC, the work can be notified by this electrician after the work has been completed.

I'm not getting into an argument with you, I don't doubt that you are very knowledgeable in this field, but that’s what I've just been told on the phone. Thanks for your input. :)

I have just spoke to Building Control regarding this, and provided the installation is done by a Part P electrician who is a member of NICEEC, the work can be notified by this electrician after the work has been completed.
Well, yes, that's the normal situation, but it relates to the person who does the 'installing' (as well as the designing and testing). Whether or not that will work for you depends upon whether you have, or can find, a NICIEC member who is prepared to say that (s)he did all the 'installing' if that were not, in fact, the case. (S)he might be prepared to allow you to do some of the work 'under supervision', but that would certainly have to be discussed and agreed up front.

Kind Regards, John

Yep, that sounds about right JohnW2. I would be doing the work that I'm allowed under his supervision. He has told me that he would NOT sign it off if its not done to Part P regs.

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yep, that sounds about right JohnW2. I would be doing the work that I'm allowed under his supervision. He has told me that he would NOT sign it off if its not done to Part P regs.
Fair enough. It is he who will have to sign the declaration that he has 'undertaken' all the design, construction and testing of the installation, so it's up to him to decide how far he is prepared to go in allowing a 'helper' to undertake some of 'his' work 'under supervision'.

Kins Regards, John

I'm not getting into an argument with you, I don't doubt that you are very knowledgeable in this field, but that’s what I've just been told on the phone. Thanks for your input. :)
Can't see any grounds for an argument - they and I are telling you the same thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back