Earth spike - utility pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post - have searched but found nothing quite like this

We're putting in an oil tank and dug into a bank in the garden to put in the base. In the middle of the hole we've got a large earth spike and cable which runs to the nearby electricity pole (marked PME).

We were advised that the tank base needed to be 1m away from the pole.

Questions -

is it the responsibility of house owner or network operator to move the spike?
is it likely to be easier, quicker and cheaper to re-site the oil tank?

We could just about set the base leaving a hole for the spike but that would result in the top of the spike being 300mm proud of the concrete and tight up against the bunded tank.

It looks like a pretty ropey connection to the spike - steel clamp, exposed wire with bare copper wire off to a second spike a metre or so away.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do not touch the stake or build anything next to it. Call the DNO and tell them you've uncovered it. They most likely will not move it, you'll have to move your tank.

You MUST NOT touch or remove that earth spike. It is the saefty earth point for many of your neighbours electricity supplies.

If there is a fault then that spike will light up at 230volts. OK if it is in the ground, not OK if it is in your hand. (That's why it needs to be a distance from nasty flammable substances).

Moving it is the responsibility of the DNO. I am assuming the spike is within the boundary of your property, if so get them on site pronto to sort it.

Stop work. Do not pour any concrete as you may change the earth properties of the spike.

Surely if the land belongs to the OP and there is nothing in the deeds of the property to say the DNO are allowed to bury earthing rods then they should remove it at their expense.

Damn............must tpye qiuker

Sponsored Links
Thanks - rather assumed it was there responsibility and no question of disconnecting it (wouldn't want to be without it - though would be happier if the connection looked less ropey!).

I'll see if DNO will come and look at it - if it's a nuisance we can re-site - might be easier by the sounds of it.

Would be nice if they moved the pole!

Cheers

BTW - when I called the DNO their first response was go ahead and move the spike - I didn't think that sounded like a good response at the time

I thought PME earthing was done at the nearest supply transformer not by random earth spikes dotted about the place?

PME

Protective

MULTIPLE

Earthing

It is done by tying neutral down to earth at multiple points.

On an overhead supply it is typically tied down at every pole, and an underground supply at every joint.

Having oil makes me think of you being out in the sticks......with a high likely hood that you have a pole mounted tranny? In which case, this earth could also be the HV earth...........

In the sticks with a set of cables just for us - probably a quarter of a mile back to the next property. There is indeed a transformer on the pole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back