Earthing light switch to mains earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a metal clad light switch in my garage, but no earth on the lighting circuit.

Would wiring the earth from the light switch into the earth terminal in a juntion box that's on a spur from the ring main provide an effective earth, or would doing so introduce a new risk that's more dangerous than the un-earthed switch?

Sponsored Links
I assume that none of your lighting circuits have an earth - in which case none of your lighting circuits should have any metallic switches or lights that are not class 2 (double insulated).

So the first thing is to replace the metallic switch in the garage with a plastic one and any other light fittings.
The second thing would be to consider having your lighting circuits upgraded to the incorporate a proper cpc that goes back to the main board on its own circuit. In other words don't borrow an earth from the ring final circuit.

Alternatively look at this site:
http://www.double-insulated-lighting.co.uk/

Hmm, guess I should buy a plastic switch and surface mount box then.

I'm ashamed to admit I bought the metal switch the other day because I like the look of it in the garage. Only afterwards did it occur to me that I've go no earth on my light circuit :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back