Ecotec graphite seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

First of all, great site! I've been reading these forums for years, but gas/plumbing is always something I leave to a professional, which leads me to my question.

I recently had a new central heating system installed in my property (Vaillant ecotec system boiler and unvented cylinder) and it just came round for it's first service. I had the same person service it because I was happy with the work (and yes, I checked their registration on the gas safe website).

However I have one concern. After the service I looked at vaillant's website, specifically...
http://www.vaillant.co.uk/installers/Service/service-reminder/

It mentions...
"* The burner module would only need to be removed and inspected should either a combustion analysis or visual inspection of the flame picture indicate the appliance is outside of specification. Note: If the burner door is removed for any reason a new graphite seal must be always be fitted. "

The engineer who came round opened the burner door to clean the combustion chamber (and actually commented on how clean it was and how good these boilers were), but when he finished he didn't replace the seal.

After I found out about vaillant's advice on the matter I called him about the issue and was told that that was only necessary/recommended because not all engineers were careful when opening the chamber and sometimes damaged the seal in the process, and that it was fine if you were careful.

Question is, is that reasonable? Or is my boiler now at risk? What should my approach be?

Thanks for your advice everyone.
Fishouttawater

Sponsored Links
No it is not resonable.

yes your boiler is at risk.

call him back,and show him the Manufactures In;where it says,"if burner door is opened, a new seal must be fitted" :rolleyes: .

The reality is that the seal will probably be fine, however the MI's say that it should be changed - end of

Should have changed it really but it was the silicone seals that were a problem.

(damage caused by failed silicone seal)[/img]

Sponsored Links
Some models also state you need to replace the 4 nuts aswell!!!!

Why was he taking it apart on its first sevice!!!!!
Should have fga ,gas rated it clean out condensate,looked inside tt dont understand opening up the cc

Maybe the co/co2 were higher than allowed???? God knows!!!

Maybe the cus was perched on his shoulder so he was trying to make it look like he was getting value for money by taking the cover off :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back