Elbow Compression Fitting 22mm×¾" pointing the wrong wa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a Hudson reed shower and due to space limitations i am having to use a male Iron Elbow Compression Fitting 22mm×¾" into the shower body.. only thing is that when i wind the 3/4 BSP into the shower body it points the wrong direction.

How the hell can i get it pointing in the direction that i want? Do i use a spacer/ or wind on the PTFE

Any help would be great

Iain

Sponsored Links
you need to but enough ptfe tape on (it wouldnt be my first choice for making the connection though) so that it seals and stiff to turn you shouldnt have to thread it all the way into the fitting to get a good deal that way you still have a couple of turns left on the threads to get the orientation right N.B never loosen the fitting to get the orientation right as it may not seal after.
the best jointing compound for a good seal is Boss White (brand name) and flacks(also called Hemp). the boss is a jointing compound

hope this helps

ptfe tape will not drastically change the finish position of the spout, only harder to wind on all the way. you need to use a copper spacer. 21mm i/d I needed but couldn't find one locally. Ended up filling out a 20mm to size to save myself £10 (mostly postage) from some aerospace co in scotland

If the seal is made by the thread I don't see how a spacer is going to help.
you may finish with the correct orientation, but have a leak.
I agree with eireplumber.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
So it is the thread that makes the seal NOT the end to end seal of the 2 drass bodies making contact and then increasing tension. If thi si correct then the seal does not have to be "tight" for a good water tight seal to occur?

Can i thenuse something like PTFE liquid to get a good seal or is Boss white the bees knees

iain

You should be able to see how the seal is made. If the seal was maent to be the end you would need a sealing washer and the thread would provide the force agaist the seal. But by using the thread only it gives you the adjustment you need.
I had a similar problem this week with an outside tap. If I continued to screw the tap fully home it faced upwards. I had already wrapped ptfe tape on the thread but obviously not enough so more tape made sure it was water tight even though it was not screwed fully home.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

eireplumber said:
you need to but enough ptfe tape on (it wouldnt be my first choice for making the connection though) so that it seals and stiff to turn you shouldnt have to thread it all the way into the fitting to get a good deal that way you still have a couple of turns left on the threads to get the orientation right N.B never loosen the fitting to get the orientation right as it may not seal after.
the best jointing compound for a good seal is Boss White (brand name) and flacks(also called Hemp). the boss is a jointing compound

hope this helps
Nice to see another old school plumber ;) It`s Flax tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back