Electra/ Hotpoint, washing machine not spinning (solution)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought this might help others .

My Electra failed to spin last week.I came home to find it full of water and an excessively heavy washload of bath towels (SWMBO):rolleyes:

I checked all the obvious things including changing the motor brushes which were very worn but no joy.

A continuity check finally revealed the Toc had failed, which is buried in the motor.No spare available so I bypassed the toc and sure enough the motor spun .I Assume the motor overheated due to the heavy wash and worn brushes which fried the TOC

I ran through a dry wash cycle manually all ok.
Put in a small wash load and although the pump worked and high speed spin functioned ,the wash tumble and the clothes distribute spin would not work.:rolleyes:

Phoned a local WM repair guy who suggested the armiture may be faulty. Replaced entire motor and the machine is functioning perfectly again.

Moral of this story is get your local Washing Machine repair man in .It will save you hours of wasted time and money . Off now to do 3x weeks of dirty washing ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back