Electric Clocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old art deco mantlepiece mains electric clock made by Ferranti. Unfortunately it runs for a day or so and then stops until given a spin to restart. I would like to take the 230 volt movement out and replace it with a battery movement. However I have no idea if connecting a battery movement to the existing hands is likely to be straightforward or is likely to require some expertise. Can anyone who has made such modifications advise me please.

Sponsored Links
justintime01 said:
However I have no idea if connecting a battery movement to the existing hands is likely to be straightforward or is likely to require some expertise.

What it will require is some mechanical micro-surgery. The battery movement will most likely have three concentric shafts. You'll have to remove the hands from these (probably quite easy) then attach the hands from your own clock. This is the tricky bit because it's highly unlikely that the holes in the old hands will match the shafts but, if you're determined enough, you'll find a way. :) :) :) If you don't have a second hand on your clock, you can either fabricate a matching one or ignore the central shaft on the battery movement.

The very first thing you'll need to check is whether the shafts on the battery movement are long enough to reach through the thickness of the original clock face. :?: :?: :?: If you have to extend them (with short lengths of tube) you're letting yourself in for a whole load of hard work.

Sponsored Links
The very first thing you'll need to check is whether the shafts on the battery movement are long enough to reach through the thickness of the original clock face. :?: :?: :?: If you have to extend them (with short lengths of tube) you're letting yourself in for a whole load of hard work.
Many makes of battery movements come in a range of available shaft lengths, so one needs to measure and then buy accordingly. A wide range of hands to fit (current) standard shafts/spindles is also available, so it might be possible to use some of them (or, at least, use them as a starting point for modification), rather than battle with the incompatability issue!

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2 said:
A wide range of hands to fit (current) standard shafts/spindles is also available, so it might be possible to use some of them (or, at least, use them as a starting point for modification), rather than battle with the incompatability issue!

Smart move; why didn't I think of that? :oops: :oops: :oops: (I probably would have done once I had the pieces in front of me but it's too late now. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ) Take the hands off the new movement and cut them down to their 'hubs'. Then cut the hubs out of the old hands and glue the new ones in with araldite. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Been there

My solution was the leave the hands and gear chain intact and replace the motor with one that rotated at the same speed. Taking the cog off the old motor and fitting it to the new motor was the hard part. That got the clock running on mains.

Then I cobbled together a crude inverter to provide 50 Hz at enough volts and milliamps to operate the motor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back