Electric oven replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an old electric oven (2.3 kW) with a new one of 2.9 kW.

Both will be hard wired and appreciate that the new oven will come without a cable and propose Using 1.5 Mm 3 core butyl heat resistant cable ( should it be 2.5mm? ) in order to install

Does this make sense or M I missing something?

Thanks

[/img]

Sponsored Links
1.5mm will handle 2.9KW so it is OK in that respect.

But what size fuse or MCB is protecting the cable?

The cooker switch on the Fuse Box / circuit breaker says mtn132/b32. 6000 which I believe denotes 32a ?

Is there any benefit to going for 2.5mm?

Also the electric hob is wired into the same socket both controlled by a separate cooker switch

Thanks

The cooker switch on the Fuse Box / circuit breaker says mtn132/b32. 6000 which I believe denotes 32a ?
I think you are right. b32 is normal for a cooker / oven circuit.

I'm not qualified to give advice on this, so hopefully someone else will give you a better answer. The 'benefit' of a bigger cable is that your house doesn't burn down if the cable has to deal with more current (Amps) that the breaker is designed to trip at. You may need 4mm cable, or downrate the MCB to a b20.

Also the electric hob is wired into the same socket both controlled by a separate cooker switch
As above, I don't know exactly what is allowed on one circuit with fixed appliances, so my whole reply might be nonsense.

You are welcome. And welcome to the forum. I hope you get some proper advice without this thread being thrown off topic (Most topics lately have been hijacked by a member who manages to not get banned, please try to ignore any attempts to reply to her/him)

Sponsored Links
Correct.

Not really.
Cookers and hobs will not overload the circuit.

Both on the same circuit is fine.
I presume you do not mean 'socket'.
There are double cooker outlet connectors.
http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod/1022/click-45a-dual-cooker-outlet-plate-prw217

ThanMs both that's very helpful.

Yes the 'socket' is a cooker outlet plate.

With an induction model - 3kw - says it needs a 13 amp fuse but I propose hardwiring it into the existing 32 amp circuit as there's no 13 amp socket in that location.

The previous set up was similar oven / hob above so I think this should be ok but any advice welcomed

Sorry that thread should have started with replacing existing electric hob with an induction hob

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back