Electric Shower & Fan Q? Again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,
First off thanks to everyone for posting on this site it really has been invaluable reading.

I have recently bought a new electric shower 9.5KW and a new timer extractor for my on suite bathroom. The cable for the shower is 10mm so from past posts that should be fine but the existing MCB is only 32 so will need to upgrade that.
I would like to place the extractor fan on the same switch as the shower, so when the shower comes on so does the fan.
The fan is a low voltage timer fan, this one: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=14750&ts=14840
So since the transformer is fed by 230v can I use the power from the cable supplying the switch which then in turn supplies the shower to power the fan as well if I get a sufficient MCB for both?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
no because the cable to the transformer will be protected by a fuse / mcb that is far too big, also as it is a timer fan it will need a switched live in oorder to operate correctly.

may i suggest you wire it in with the bathroom lights, much easier, safer and there is a drawing in for refernce

Thanks for the reply breezer.
If I put the permanent live & neutral to the lighting loop can the switch live go to the switch for the shower :?:

Davies365 said:
Thanks for the reply breezer.
If I put the permanent live & neutral to the lighting loop can the switch live go to the switch for the shower :?:

NO

but you can have the shower supply switching a contactor to switch anlighting live, though the fact that you had to ask a question like this probably shows that you might have difficultly with a non standard arrangement like this, anyway, there are some drawings and photos by ban all sheds hanging around this forum somwhere if you are interested

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
, anyway, there are some drawings and photos by ban all sheds hanging around this forum somwhere if you are interested

as i said the drawings are in for reference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back