Electric shower puzzle.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I know I'm in Ireland but I believe our electrics are the same so I'm posting here for some help.

I have an electric shower.

The original shower lasted for three years and started to trip the circuit breaker, I figured it had lived it's life and replaced it.

The new one was working for a few weeks, it was then used for an extended amount of time (about 30 minutes) and tripped out.

Since then it is tripping out all the time. Sometimes even when the power switch to the shower is on but the shower itself it off. Other times after less than a minute.

I have replaced the circuit breaker. The wires 'seem' ok, and if there was a short there I would assume it would trip instantly.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I am in France, but I guess amps are the same everywhere : when you touch the red wire, it hurts !!!
I think water is getting inside the connection somewhere in the shower. This would explain why the trip is not regular.
Try to see if a wire is damaged or if you have a faulty gasket or joint which could cause this trip.
Good luck
Stan

whats power rating of shower? whta size is MCB? what size is cable? do you have an RCD? how long is the cable etc etc. unless you tell us everything, you aint gonna get a proper reply

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

The inside of the shower is dry so it doesn't seem to be a water issue. I tested the shower without the cover and no water is getting anywhere.

The shower is rates at 9.5 kw.

I think it's an RCB, it certainly has a neutral and live connection, is rated at 60, though that's all I could see on it, not 60A just 60 so I can't be sure.

I don't know the gauge of the cable, I didn't fit it, but it's big. I needed to use a hack-saw to shorten it. I suppose the metal core is about 4mm.

I hope this helps.

I really don't know what it going on. For the same problem to be occurring with two shower units (different makes) seems to imply the problem is elsewhere. Should I replace the breaker with a bigger one? If so what size?

Any other help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
NO DO NOT REPLACE THE BREAKER WITH A LARGER ONE.
Are you mad! The breaker is rated to protect your cable and putting a bigger one in will ensure you have a pile of ashes to come home to.

Find a qualified electrician and get him to do an insulation and continuity test. R1+R2 would also be sensible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back