Electric shower tripping MCB

Sponsored Links
Seems a bit of a strange choice tbh, I'd have gone for twin an earth in a straight length of black PVC conduit with plenty of saddles, straight up and into the void above the top floor (I'm assuming it was done while it was being converted). If it wasn't a straigh run, I'd have gone by NYY-J.

SWA is just adding compexity and awkardness in getting it glanded properly, maybe done by someone with an industrial background, and SWA was the go to solution

To update, installer has been out, checked for loose connections, tested the wiring and replaced the rcd. I noticed that under the original fault after tripping the MCB was warm/hot to the touch after the shower had been running. While the replacement remains cold, so seems like faulty breaker was the cause.

I didn’t get a chance to ask the reason for using swa, however judging by the consumer unit after he’d been at it he may well have an “industrial” background!

Attachments

• EB630E5D-871C-4DF5-9FE1-0466C36B4DE3.jpeg
    EB630E5D-871C-4DF5-9FE1-0466C36B4DE3.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
That’s the replacement breaker, damage to it and case looks like it’s been caused during installation, no idea how, it’s definitely not melted/burning. All seems to be working fine though.

Last edited:
That'll be where he used his screwdriver to lever the cover on around the breakers, rather than lining everything up properly first...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back