Electric shower water not stopping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have electric shower The shower is spraying cold water even when the unit is turned off and the switch on the ceiling when the power is turned on at the switch the water doesn't heat up.
I've left it spraying into the bath for now.
Any ideas how I can fix this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
valve is jammed open, new valve or new shower if its around 5 years old

Sounds like the solenoid valve is U/S. If the cold inlet pipe is exposed an inline valve could be fitted. I think you can buy attractive plastic valves for that purpose, or you could a few years ago.
JonB

Your 1st problem is to stop the water flow, which should be achieved by locating and closing the shower isolation cock. This cock should have been fitted when the shower was first installed and should be accessible to the householder.

If you cannot isolate the shower from the main supply you can stop the flow by various means, depending on your technical capability. If you have no technical skills you should simply bend the shower hose to constrict the flow through it and tie it up with some tape or string. You might need a new one afterwards. With some technical ability you can enter the shower unit and deal with the internal solenoid valve. With all power switched off, including tripping the CB in the consumer unit, take the cover off the box and locate the solenoid valve. It will be the 1st assembly the main water pipe is connected to. Lightly hit the valve body with a small toffee hammer, but don't hit the electric solenoid. You will be trying to encourage the valve to close under spring pressure. Then call out a plumber.

Sponsored Links
it's not a newer type of Gainsborough shower.

Have had problems with these when wall is not exactly straight etc.

Don't rate Gainsborough showers - crap in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back