Electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need a switch on an electric shower? My existing one is not electric so can I just connect a new electric one to the existing wiring without using a switch

Sponsored Links
An electric shower needs to be on it's own dedicated circuit fed from the consumer unit (fuse box) via a 45/50 Amp two pole isolation switch.

When you say existing wiring - you CANNOT connect an electric shower into any other circuit.

Any electrical work carried out in a bathroom is notifiable to Building Control - look up part p in wiki.

What do you mean by and " electric shower". Is this one that just has a pump and mixer for the existing hot & cold supply or is it one that heats the water and needs connection to the mains cold feed?

What do you mean by and " electric shower". Is this one that just has a pump and mixer for the existing hot & cold supply or is it one that heats the water and needs connection to the mains cold feed?

The existing shower is one with pump and mixes hot and cold water. The new one will be cold feed only which heats it's own water.

Sponsored Links
See DESL's post above. It is worth considering having an electrician do this work for you.

The existing shower is one with pump and mixes hot and cold water. The new one will be cold feed only which heats it's own water.
Without a shadow of a doubt, you will need to run in a new circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back