Electric sockets

Monkeh,
I mentioned fire hazzard because the stick sockets cut out and there is scorch marks, and slight melting to some socket holes. All are unplugged at night. I will not take the chance mate.

Gaz.

What, exactly, is a 'stick socket' anyway?

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities,
How do you mean I stole someone elses enquiery then added a few bits to the end, then posted it. That's upsetting. I'm hurt. I feel like sticking my finger into a light socket. I'm shocked. Tee! Hee!
Thank you all guy's for all the advice, and the links. This site is like an open collage.
Cheers.

Gaz.

Ah'hhh,
Okay, Those thingies that look like a long block with 4 or 6 plug holes in it. You're gonna tell me that they are called something else now arn't you? Oop'sss.

Ah'hhh,
Okay, Those thingies that look like a long block with 4 or 6 plug holes in it. You're gonna tell me that they are called something else now arn't you? Oop'sss.

Power strip?

Don't pull things out while switched on, don't buy really cheap ones, and if it's damaged, remove the cable and throw it away. Decent quality ones, properly treated, are not a fire risk..

Sponsored Links
I am aware of the cheap nasty ones you can buy off markets or pound shops. I have all mine with power surge. But I still have cabels all over the place, hence the need to add extra wall mounted sockets.

By the way, whats the gen on 2 gang one way, or two gang two way?

Gaz.

I am aware of the cheap nasty ones you can buy off markets or pound shops. I have all mine with power surge.
That'd explain the burning then..

But I still have cabels all over the place, hence the need to add extra wall mounted sockets.
And eliminate all your surge protection, and still not deal with the cable mess.

By the way, whats the gen on 2 gang one way, or two gang two way?
Light switches?

Have you had a periodic inspection report done on your wiring, because if you are worrying about burning then this will highlight all the current defects with your electrical wiring which could be dangerous to persons, property and livestock. Very important thing to have done once you aquire a new property and once sorted something that should be done every ten years max.

I am aware of the cheap nasty ones you can buy off markets or pound shops. I have all mine with power surge.
Surge protection doesnt make them any safer if you overload them. All surge protection does is it stops your appliances getting fried if a spike comes down your electrics. Oh, and they only do this once, then they are just a simple multiplug - the spike fuse only works once.

They are fused at 13 amps.

This makes them safe.

This is why shops are able to sell them.

All components of them are BS marked - thus they meet standards.

This is why they dont catch fire as soon as someone plugs them in.

Many people use multiple 4-way strips plugged into EACH OTHER, perfectly safely, for items such as TVs, hi-fi seperates, computer setups etc. The first one is fused at 13 amps. This makes it safe. If the total load exceeds 13 amps, it will fuse and all will be well.

You mention trip hazard - this is down to the end user. If the lead is trailed across a room, then yes, its a trip hazard. But most people dont do this. They route the cable round the edges of the room or tie it up.

They are safe. Quit banging on about it. If they have burn marks, get new ones. :rolleyes: They are dirt cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back