Electric Water Heater Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has a economy 7 water cylinder and she has been complaining the noise of it can keep her awake at night, I have heard it and its basically just like a kettle sound nothing too major.

But the internal walls are pretty thin and the airing cupboard is next to her bedroom.

The tank is pretty new 2-3 years and its foam insulated, I checked the stat and the temp is set at 60c so I cant really turn it down any lower.

My question is does the noise signify any sort of problem or is it just par for the course of having a hot water heater, and would maybe fitting a cylinder jacket cut the noise out a little.

Sponsored Links
Stat setting may not signify the stat is working! The newer types of immersion have an overheat stat fitted to cut the power if the water gets too hot, it is possible though you may not have the new type fitted. How hot is the water from the hot taps? Is there evidence of steam in the attic?

It may be possible the stat has failed, allowing the water in the cylinder to boil. Not only is this wasting electricity, it can be dangerous. There have been incidents of plastic cold water storage cisterns collapsing, (as the faulty immersion has filled them with boiling water), and emptying the contents into the room below. A baby was fatally scalded in recent history by this type of event, so for safety's sake I strongly suggest you get the immersion checked.

Yep that is good safety advice so thanks for that.

But just taken a temp reading of the hot water and its
about 55c at the tap so stat appears to be fine

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back