Electrical certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new build and renovation project wired. Everything works fine, but I need certification for building control. What kind of certificate do I need, and where should I get it from?
Appreciate your advice.

Sponsored Links
Slightly hijacking thread.
On a new build by a developer, is the cert issued by the sparky to the developer or the new home buyer?

Sponsored Links
I have had a new build and renovation project wired.
By whom?

Checking his thread about the immersion heater, you would assume by him.

In which case I believe you can pay the councils building regs people to test it (though they may be unable to if they can't see all of the cable runs or don't accept that you were qualified to design it).

Normally, you would get a qualified sparky to do the work and certify (assuming they don't turn out to be unable to do so, or if they are able to, actually do).

Sounds like a whole heap of pain and expense awaits.

Checking his thread about the immersion heater, you would assume by him.
Ah.

But he did say "I have had a new build and renovation project wired", and not "I have wired a new build and renovation project"

In which case I believe you can pay the councils building regs people to test it (though they may be unable to if they can't see all of the cable runs or don't accept that you were qualified to design it).
Well let's hope he didn't DIH, as on the basis of the immersion heater topic he's not competent enough.

Sounds like a whole heap of pain and expense awaits.
At this point we really do need to know the answer to this question to be able to give the best advice:

I have had a new build and renovation project wired.
Mission, when you applied for Building Regulations approval for that, what did you say, or allow to be said on your behalf, or tacitly accept via LABC assumptions, would be the way that you would ensure compliance with Part P of the Building Regulations, and did you actually do it that way?

On a new build by a developer, is the cert issued by the sparky to the developer or the new home buyer?
The cert is issued to the client ordering the work, this is generally the owner of the property.
Which, unless the house under construction is 'pre-sold', will presumably be the developer or builder?

Kind Regards, John

The cert is issued to the client ordering the work, this is generally the owner of the property.
Which, unless the house under construction is 'pre-sold', will presumably be the developer or builder?
I would expect as part of them selling the property to the homebuyer I would expect them to pass on relavent documentation on the property including the aforementioned certificate.

I would expect as part of them selling the property to the homebuyer I would expect them to pass on relavent documentation on the property including the aforementioned certificate.
Of course - but that wasn't the question.

Kind Regards, John

John.... Are you and Tony brothers? ;)
I doubt it, since I have no brothers. Tony asked whether the electrician would give the certificate to the developer or the homebuyer. Since I presume (s)he wouldn't give the certificate to a 'prospective homebuyer' (if there was one) before the sale/purchase was completed, I presume that, in most cases, the certificate would initially be given to the developer - who, as you said, should subsequently pass it on to whoever completes a purchase of the property.

Kind Regards, John

If we are my dad did not know, but I am in that position and realised there is no electric cert. :evil:

Mission, ignoring this problem won't make it go away, but it could get a lot worse if you end up with the council simply refusing to give you a completion certificate.

When you applied for Building Regulations approval for the project, what did you say, or allow to be said on your behalf, or tacitly accept via LABC assumptions, would be the way that you would ensure compliance with Part P of the Building Regulations, and did you actually do it that way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back