Electrical qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question.

A polish friend of mine who is an extremely competent plumber and electrician (he has been doing it for just under 40 years) asked me whether there is any way in which he can get UK certification for both electrics and plumbing.

He told me that he had done some accredited stuff in Poland and was wonderng whether the UK would recognise any of it.

The main problem for him is that his English is not very good and I'm not sure he'd be able to cope with an "English" exam because of his language.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Most of the governing bodies e.g. NICEIC, JIB, CORGI will accept equivalent qualifications. Usually these are older qualifications that have been replaced, however it would be up to them to decide what qualifications they would accept.

The only difficulty would be obtaining the City and Guilds 2381 – 16th Edition, this basically shows you can understand and implement the 16th edition and is asked by a lot of employers nowadays. As the 16th is only used in the UK (not quite correct but near enough) it would be hard to see any foreign equivalent, saying that it has been harmonised with European standards. The best advice is to ask the governing bodies directly

It should be noted that unless your friend does part p work he only has to show he in competent, in practise however this is difficult without industry recognised qualifications.

If I was him I would swat up on the 16th edition regs and then take the C&G 2381 exam (there are places that will let you just take the exam), its multiple choice and open book so provided he can read english reasonablly he should get through it.

2381 should be enough to get into one of the part P self cert schemes which is the most imporant thing for an electrician who is doing domestic work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help guys.

I will speak to the relevant bodies and let him know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back