Electricity in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I will be fitting a light into my loft and wondered if this needs to be on a seperate ring

I cannot simply take a spur from a socket in bedroom because I am putting a tube light and 2 X PC towers up there, 1 will be connected to my bedroom TV other will be a file server

Also my tiles on roof are slate with no felt underneath and there are many many places were I can see spots of light so i think I would hang the light fitting from as high as possible with a sheet metal covering, PC's are going to be housed in a wooden box with suitable airflow vented out plus a plastic sheet covering the top which should suffice

Any info would be great!!

Sponsored Links
Hi

I will be fitting a light into my loft and wondered if this needs to be on a seperate ring

I cannot simply take a spur from a socket in bedroom because I am putting a tube light and 2 X PC towers up there, 1 will be connected to my bedroom TV other will be a file server

You could take a fused spur up there, as 2 PCs will be way less than 13A.

Fuse down again to 3A for the light.

You can get exterior rated light fittings.

I think you will find there are quite a lot of lighting circuit cables in your loft, and probably some junction boxes too.

You should get the roof fixed first. If you can see daylight through the tiles then water is going to get in and ultimately start to rot the timbers.
Make the property watertight first then think about your loft electrics.

Sponsored Links
For the lighting I would just take power from the upstairs lighting circuit which is almost certainly already running through the loft.

As for the PCs spurring off the upstairs socket circuit seems the most reasonable option.

PC's are going to be housed in a wooden box with suitable airflow vented out plus a plastic sheet covering the top which should suffice
Yeah, right.

Have you ever been in your loft in the height of summer or the depths of winter?

Check out the ambient temperature operating range for the PCs, and compare it to the range you get in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back