Electrics out after using circ saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I just tried using my circular saw in one of the plugs in my garage, and the electrics on the garage circuit now no longer work. The first couple of runs worked, but on the third or fourth go of using it, the electrics stopped working.

The RCD on the CU has not tripped, but there is no power going to the cable that feeds the garage circuit coming out of the CU. I've tried cycling it off and then on, but still no power on the garage circuit. RCD on CU for the garage supply is 20A.

There was a fridge running in the garage at the same time, and a couple of LED lights.

Rest of the house is all working fine.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
but there is no power going to the cable that feeds the garage circuit coming out of the CU.
how did you check that ?
do you have MCB on the circuit
where it enters the garage - do you have any fuse boxes, fused switches

how did you check that ?
do you have MCB on the circuit
where it enters the garage - do you have any fuse boxes, fused switches
- I have a voltage detector pen. Tested it on working sockets in the house first. There is a cable running from the CU that comes out of the wall and runs to the garage. This cable has no power running.
- Yes there is a 20A MCB on the circuit that feeds the garage.
- Yes there is a fused switch where it first enters the garage, which is in this picture attached. The cable from the bottom is the one running from the CU, which has no power.

IMG_2759.JPEG

do you have a proper meter
have you checked the fuse ?
personally I dont trust some of those pen tester, at least the cheap ones i have had in past

where did you use the PEN exactly

Sponsored Links
Thanks @ETAF

All resolved. Was a 5A fuse on the fused switch.
Changed to a 13A - and everything back up and running.

Thanks!

Last edited:
- Not checked the fuse on the fused switch in the picture yet. Would that stop power running from the CU to this fused switch?
not if its a PEN that detects voltage in a cable - which i suspect you are saying you have .....
so something like this
if it is correct and measuring properly - then if no voltage at the CU cable end - then the MCB or RCD will be tripped or perhaps now faulty
can we see a picture of consumer unit ....

You may have posted just as I edited my last post! All resolved after changing the fuse at the switch! Thanks @ETAF

Thanks @ETAF

All resolved. Was a 5A fuse on the fused switch.
Changed to a 13A - and everything back up and running.

Thanks!
You cant just go increasing the fuse size like that! It was a 5amp fuse for a reason, probably it is protecting the lighting circuits in the garage.
13A may be too much for the wiring. Put a 5amp fuse back in there.

You cant just go increasing the fuse size like that! It was a 5amp fuse for a reason, probably it is protecting the lighting circuits in the garage.
13A may be too much for the wiring. Put a 5amp fuse back in there.
Completely skipped my mind. I only had a 13A around. Off to screwfix to get some 5A now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back