Electrics to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have read some bits about burying cable so understand the ruling about 600mm trench, sand, cable,tape,backfill,tape,backfill...

I want to run two strip lights and two double sockets within the shed.

What I need to know is, the shed is approx 12m away from the house, what advise do you have in regards to board size within the shed, SWA size and breaker size for the consumer board?

Many thanks
Nafe

Sponsored Links
Metalclad consumer unit
6A MCB for lights
20A MCB for sockets
4mm² SWA

4mm² on a 32A MCB at the house end (non-RCD side) should be fine for general garden use but if you intend using lots of tools or think you may need extra capacity later on, I'd go up another size to 6mm². The increase in price isn't great but the hassle of replacing it later will be considerable.

This work is notifiable so if you are doing it yourself remember to notify your BCO BEFORE you start the work. On the other hand, if you are getting a sparky in to do the work, you should get him to source the parts and to chose the cable size etc. Most won't like you designing the circuit for them as it's their name on the form, and many won't offer warranties on parts bought by the customer.

And make sure you RCD the supply - usually done in the shed CU ;)

If you have a sniff of a welder.......let us know!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back