electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help, have recentley had newly plastered walls, socket faces removed by electrician prior to get a good finish, halfway through plastering half the sockets in house are not working, not a fuse problem electrican has tested most of existing and new sockets put in but can not find the fault and the root cause problem, any ideas on what might be responsible, he has got a flicker of power from the sockets not working but that is all, and he cant find the answer, it is a 1960's house which has not been rewired. many thanks, kim

Sponsored Links
If he's getting a tiny amount of power before it's tripping, sounds like it could be a neutral problem causing an RCD to trip (assuming there is an RCD). If one of the neutrals for the new sockets has been run back to the wrong side of the RCD, then this situation would occur.

I had a similar problem where someone had wired up a trailing socket with neutral and earth reversed (quite how they managed that I don't know!) - it would work instantaneously before tripping the RCBO, took quite a while to find that one...

Do you have wired fuses or circuit breakers?

If the latter, is something tripping which you have to reset?

If so what does it say on the thing you have to reset?

Do you have wired fuses or circuit breakers?

If the latter, is something tripping which you have to reset?

If so what does it say on the thing you have to reset?

hi, i have wired fuses, but they are all intact

Sponsored Links
OK, then if we believe in cause and effect, pulling the sockets out has disturbed a connection. Most likely a connection into one of the sockets.

However for this to be the case your circuit doesn't sound like it is a ring final. Otherwise there would have to be two disturbed connections.

Your 'electrician' doesn't sound like they're up to much if they gave up on this one, though.

With the power off, check all the connections are done up tightly.

My thoughts exactly Ricicle!
Also wondering about RCD protection given some new sockets have been added.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back