electrolux larder fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stopped working.
The light still works, so power OK, but motor not coming on and temp is same as outside.
Thermostat?
Can these be changed? Easily DIY? How? Economically?
It's an RF 593, maybe 7 years old.

Sponsored Links
Could be the thermostat, but I suspect it is more likely to be a compressor issue (relay, PTC, motor). Can you post the PNC number? (take out the fruit & veg trays & look for a sticker with the model details).

I don't know the company but the universal thermostat in the picture will most probably fit your fridge. The thermostat terminals should be marked 3, 4, & 6 on the body. You could hotwire it to confirm you have a faulty thermostat or bad compressor. Pull the plug, mark & remove the wires that go to terminals 3 & 4 on the thermostat. Join them together temporarily & insulate with electrical tape. If the compressor starts when you plug it back in then you have a faulty thermostat. If it doesn't then you have a compressor problem. Alternatively you could just buy the thermostat above & take a chance (they are not expensive).

Sponsored Links
Finally got round to working on this (luckily I have a 2nd fridge!).

Removed one retaining screw just back from the control dial. Removed control dial and nut behind it.

But the cover seems to be still held in place just forward of the conrol dial by something not obviously visible/accesible.

Tried levering it gently with a screwdrive behind the cover but it's definately held in place so will crack.

Any ideas?

These are usually held in place by plastic clips which are a part of the outer cover (once the screw/shaft nut are removed). Nip the outer cover together in the area where the thermostat shaft sticks through the hole on the plastic casing & pull it gently towards you, this should release the 2 clips.

Unless you have to squeeze VERY tightly, and/or pul VERY hard, this doesn't work. Worried about cracking the cover.

No other screws anyplace? Try sliding it...any movement? If no-go use a thin knife, feeler gauge blade or similar to check for hidden clips between the cover & wall. Most I have seen just about fell off when the screw/nut was removed.

I'll get there in the end...

So, the supply cable has blue (to the lightbulb); black,green, brown to thermostat.

From the thermostat there's black to the light switch.

From the switch there's white to the lightbulb.

If I want to bypass the thermostat to check the compressor works, do I connect brown to blue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back