elm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old (very old) ELM gas boiler in the house I'm in...sorry I can't see a model no on it save 'LM' on the front....and hey, its working (just), has been for a year or more now. I need to keep it going for a little while longer until I can install an electric water heater system.

I need to move the flue to access the floor it currently goes through, ie it currently vents vertically; a question if I may here? Can I vent it horizontally?

Can I take the current vent fm the top & instead of going vertical totally, can I let it through 90 degrees after approx 18"? There's a vent in the wall I could use & it would suit purpose. As I mentioned its about 18" higher than the highest point of the boiler...?

Any restrictions that anyone knows of please?

Thank you in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
I've got an old (very old) ELM gas boiler in the house I'm in...sorry I can't see a model no on it save 'LM' on the front....and hey, its working (just), has been for a year or more now. I need to keep it going for a little while longer until I can install an electric water heater system.

I need to move the flue to access the floor it currently goes through, ie it currently vents vertically; a question if I may here? Can I vent it horizontally?

Can I take the current vent fm the top & instead of going vertical totally, can I let it through 90 degrees after approx 18"? There's a vent in the wall I could use & it would suit purpose. As I mentioned its about 18" higher than the highest point of the boiler...?

Any restrictions that anyone knows of please?

Thank you in anticipation.

Yes you can flue the boiler horizontally however you will have a job getting a horizontal flue kit and an elbow for the boiler and you will have to contact the manufacturer regarding how far away from the boiler can you fit the elbow vertically.

We also need to know what sort of flue(existing) it is.

Where and which way does it go after it leaves the boiler?

Does the flue go straight up and through a roof?

You may well struggle, the manufacturers were bought by Bosch years back and banished back to France where they now sell ELM Leblanc versions of Junkers/Worcester boilers.

Hi

Thanks for the swift reply.

The flue is made of a lightweight metal of some form, sounds rather 'tinny' & looks 'shiney' as it goes through the attic. It vents vertically straight fm the 'boiler' to the cap on the house roof...

What effect would a bend too close to the boiler have then, would it effect the draw?

Thanks again.

Wolfhound

Sponsored Links
Nixt Thanks,

Luckily I'm in France so that's not an issue! Not sure if the age of the thing isn't a bigger stumbling block to be honest? :) I'm sure its original, & the house is 53 yrs old!

Hi

Thanks for the swift reply.

The flue is made of a lightweight metal of some form, sounds rather 'tinny' & looks 'shiney' as it goes through the attic. It vents vertically straight fm the 'boiler' to the cap on the house roof...

What effect would a bend too close to the boiler have then, would it effect the draw?

Thanks again.

Wolfhound

Sounds like a OF boiler connected to a twinwall flue in which case your fecked

Ustand 'the fecked' bit...but....'OF boiler connected to a twinwall flue'...I do not have a clue with?

Can you suggest a short term fix that'll let me vent it sideways whilst I remove the existing floor its vent goes through, & construct the new floor to house the new electric water heating unit on pse?

Thank you.

Ustand 'the fecked' bit...but....'OF boiler connected to a twinwall flue'...I do not have a clue with?

Can you suggest a short term fix that'll let me vent it sideways whilst I remove the existing floor its vent goes through, & construct the new floor to house the new electric water heating unit on pse?

Thank you.

Open Flued appliance.

You can't flue an open flued boiler horizontally under any circumstances.

Ah.....fecked is abt right then!

Bummer.....guess this'll be a case of build a section of the new floor, install electric heater & plumbing then once hot water is proved, remove old LM & flue?

Another Q if I may? Why is horizontal no-good on an OF set-up? Just so as I know next time :)

Again, Thank you....

Wolfhound

Ah.....fecked is abt right then!

Bummer.....guess this'll be a case of build a section of the new floor, install electric heater & plumbing then once hot water is proved, remove old LM & flue?

Another Q if I may? Why is horizontal no-good on an OF set-up? Just so as I know next time :)

Again, Thank you....

Wolfhound

Basically the flue gases rise with heat ,motor forces and convection and the height of flue pipe is crucial but it has to rise continuously from the draught divertor of the boiler to the flue terminal in order that the flue clears the products of combustion from the appliance.

With a horizontal flue the flue gases can't rise which means condensation which means low flue temp which can lead to flame lift/impingement/chilling which leads to incomplete combustion more commonly know as carbon monoxide

And Carbon Monoxide is not something that one wants around & about now is it!! Ok Plan B it is then......

Thank you for taking yr time out & replying.

Regards

Wolfhound

And Carbon Monoxide is not something that one wants around & about now is it!! Ok Plan B it is then......

Thank you for taking yr time out & replying.

Regards

Wolfhound

Your welcome,however.

We're still presuming you have an OF flue though.

Mmmmm.....OF, the lowest common de-nominator....safest option to assume me thinks, given I don't fancy NOT waking up thanks to CM.... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back