end of rotary airer stuck under paving...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so, our rotary airer needed replacing. Hubby attempted to pull it out - and it snapped off below the paving, leaving the bottom section stuck, in what I presume is concrete, below the paving. How difficult would it be to lift the paving, take out the concrete and remains of rotary, and then replace the paving and put in a new rotary, using a spike perhaps?? I don't want wobbly paving, and we have no grass to stick a rotary into, so this wee paving stone with a section cut out for a rotary is it (unless I get washing posts and stick then in the borders??). TIA.

Sponsored Links
it depends how the paving is layed.

To get it out you'll be looking at disturbing a lot of ground though which will need either filling back in with concrete or very well compacted.

I'd forget it and get a new sleeve.

Any length of steel or plastic tubing which is a tight fit will do.

Plastic waste pipe comes in 32mm 40mm and 50mm inside diameters

ta - we can't unfortunately use the existing hole to put in a new sleeve, as it's full of the end of the old rotary, and there's no gap round it - just concrete. Think we will have to just give it up, as don't want to lift the paving stones, as won't have the ability to put them back properly! will have to go for washing posts at the edge of the garden instead.
thanksfor replying.

I would personally just try and hammer down on the broken post with a wrecking bar and lump hammer - see if you bash the old line down into the ground below.

Then just install the new line

Sponsored Links
What I mean is that with washing lines and fence posts there is often a much thicker layer of concert around the item than directly below it so you may be able to punch through

Could you consider hiring a core drill, and making a hole for a new post in the concrete just alongside the old one?
John :)

what i meant was to forget the old one and concrete a new sleeve in a new location such as just beside the edge of the paving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back