Energy Bulbs and Dimmers.

K

kai

People complain that energy bulbs cannot work with dimmers - what regulation of BS7671:2008 states that people MUST use a dimmer switch?

Why can't people simply have a 3 gang switch and a line of 3 fittings containing energy bulbs, and switch on 1,2 or 3 of them to get the right light? Much simpler, no fussing around with expensive dimmer compatable bulbs. If BS7671:2008 were amended to allow multiple switching of adjacent lights in a domestic building, it will help the Government meet its CO2 emission targets. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Think it is Meggaman who make a "Dimmerable" CFL which is suitable for use with most dimmer switches.

I wasn't aware that BS7671:2008 specifically forbid switching adjacent lights in a domestic building (not that I've needed to do it) - which reg is that out of interest?

I don't think there is a reg, just a lot of people like to have dimmable lighting and he is pointing out an alternative.
All I can say is you'll have to persuade mrs kai first :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I am not sure about new MK range but the radio controlled switches which would be ideal for multi light control will not work with discharge lights as dimming is built into them. At least the type sold by B&Q are.
And most people do not want to have to run cables to add lighting control.

As you say nothing to do with BS7671 but all to do with availability.

I have seen a new wireless range has been released by MK maybe these will allow what kai is referring to?

Kai,
Why can't people simply have a 3 gang switch and a line of 3 fittings containing energy bulbs, and switch on 1,2 or 3 of them to get the right light?

I have four x 3 bulb fittings around the house, all connected to dimmers. Why should I go to the expense and mess of having these rewired so that I can then use three gang switches (installed at extra cost) to comply with your 'suggestion'.
I solved the problem quite easily:
Stockpile six of these packs:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4321792.htm

At my age they will either last me out or I will have to consider something else in about 20 years time.

Stuff helping the Government meet its CO2 emission targets when they cannot consider the people that they are supposed to represent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back