Energy savers with dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am replacing my old (tasteless) ceiling lights in my hallway and living room. I am planning to install energy saving bulbs at the same time, but the two ceiling lights in the living room have dimmer switches. Is it possible to use energy saving bulbs with these? I would assume not, as fluorescent lighting (which they use) needs special control gear for this. Or would they still work (on full power) but with the dimmer turned all the way up? I guess I could use halogens, which are dimmable (I think), but they are not nearly as efficient. Any help/insight is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Davy. I'll just need to work out the wiring first, there are a lot or wires in there (old late 60's 70's era circuit).

BTW am I right in assuming the halogens are dimmable (for future reference)?

Take lots of pictures before you disconnect anything and label every cable so you know what went where.

Most halogen lamps are dimmable.

Davy

Sponsored Links
RF, they dont work with dimmers in the conventional sense. And it looks like they respond to the RMS voltage decrease as an "OFF" signal from the dimmer, so turning the dimmer down slightly results in the light going off, same as flicking the switch off. Thus the dimmer controls the light exactly the same as a normal switch. ;)

The point I was getting as was the OP already has dimmers fitted, and wanted to avoid changing them. These lamps allow that, just not in the conventional dimmer way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back