Engineering Bricks or Facing Bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building up to 75mm lower than the DPC with Concrete Blocks for a conservatory dwarf wall (one will also be 2.5m high on one side).

For the last course to get to me to DPC level I will be using a brick.

I just wondered if it would be best to use an engineering brick, class b or something like a london brick would be better?

Its quite a bit above ground level and everything will be either rendered or painted below DPC.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am building up to 75mm lower than the DPC with Concrete Blocks for a conservatory dwarf wall
So that means you will be showing 75mm of block as well as 75mm of brick in order to obey the 150mm splash rule.

Seems a bit odd....:?:

Sponsored Links
From ground level to dpc it's more like 375 ish so the 150 splash rule is well above what they say.

From ground level to dpc it's more like 375 ish so the 150 splash rule is well above what they say.
So that means even more block-work is exposed!! Do you understand basic building?
You are meant to show engineering standard masonry, or at least FL rated masonry at ground level. That means that wherever the ground drops away, it is wise to allow for brick courses where the masonry is exposed to deal with the splash abutment. In other words, as the ground gets lower, so does the splash zone.

From a visible aspect also, showing blocks is pig ugly in any case.

Its quite a bit above ground level and everything will be either rendered or painted below DPC.
Just read this bit. Rendered? Below DPC?? WTF!!!

Your idea is ridiculous. Paint won't survive and will eventually look a mess. Render will still need to terminate at a point 150mm up from the ground so you will still have block showing. You need to ask questions PRIOR to building stuff and not after.(y)

Ok thanks. Now I understand.

Are celcon blocks ok on the inside leaf of the cavity wall completely below dpc or does that need to be concrete block?

It obviously won't be exposed being on the inside leaf and they are suitable below ground level.

Additionally to my question above, would a plinth around the conservatory help my situation? I guess water could still get in behind it? Another option is for me to raise the ground level outside, after all I will be having a patio around the whole thing, its possible I could raise it to cover these blocks.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back