english roof in scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I have put up a cold unvented unsarked roof in scotland ie no boarding or sheeting but battens and counter battens over breathable membrane.

The slaters who have looked at it up here all complain cos they say it is much harder roof to work on as they cant drive their supports for planks into the sarking as they would normally do.
2 of the roof faces have hips and no ridge and so are hard to put a roof ladder on.

How do english roofers deal with this - do you leave a vertical strip of slate off so you can get up and down the roof?

how do you work on a roof with no ridge to hang a roof ladder on?

best

Tommy B.

Sponsored Links
How do english roofers deal with this - do you leave a vertical strip of slate off so you can get up and down the roof?

we have removed 'steps' like this when we have needed to. it is fairly straight forward. it is better to tile and then remove (if needed) after.

i thought ALL roofs up in bonnie Scotland required solid sarking to satisfy local authority?

hi
I have put up a cold unvented unsarked roof in scotland ie no boarding or sheeting but battens and counter battens over breathable membrane.

The slaters who have looked at it up here all complain cos they say it is much harder roof to work on as they cant drive their supports for planks into the sarking as they would normally do.
2 of the roof faces have hips and no ridge and so are hard to put a roof ladder on.

how do you work on a roof with no ridge to hang a roof ladder on?

best

Tommy B.

What type of slate are you putting on just out of interest ? Or are they artificial slate.

Standard practice in the south certainly, and not a big deal to slate at all!!
And there is no need to leave vettical strips out either.. horses for courses

Sponsored Links
Standard practice in the south certainly, and not a big deal to slate at all!!
And there is no need to leave vettical strips out either.. horses for courses

Not standard practice if he is using scotch slate. That's why am asking. You can slate on battons using scotch but its a hassle, And not many slaters would take that sort of work on.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am using spanish new slate 14 x 8's. They seem to be going on easily enough

Local authority are totally fine with the roof - it is not a requirement just a custom!

You havent answered my main question though so I will try and rephrase?

How do you repair a slate roof when there is no ridge to hang a roof ladder on?

If the roof is already slated and one or more slates break how do you get up there without walking on the slates?

best tommy b.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back