enlarging my fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I have removed a pine fire surround with cast iron back panel from my fireplace, as it was a solid fuel fire my intention was to have a wood burning stove in the gap. The gap is 21 inches across and the chimney breast is 72 inches across. I want to increase the size of the gap. A fireplace trader informed me that I can increase the gap to 40 inches, however another has advised me to make the gap no wider than 30 inches as it could undermine the chimney breast. Who is right?. Does the work I intend to do come under building regualtions or can I just make the gap bigger. (I do intend to get an expert to do the work). Any advice appreciated. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
michaela said:
Does the work I intend to do come under building regualtions or can I just make the gap bigger. (I do intend to get an expert to do the work).
There are rules & regulation, best to pop down to your BCO for a free advice & they may suggest a structural surveyor as it's the main part of the structure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back