EPDM for summer house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I am looking at using epdm on the roof of my summerhouse (18mm osb)
should i put any sort of barrier between the osb and epdm? (to me it seems obvious to just glue it to the board)
roughly how much adhesive would I need for 18m2?
for this size roof would 1.14mm be ok?
I have been looking at rubberroofing.co.uk and they seem to have the size i need for £33.69 + vat , which seems ridiculously cheap.
Anyone had any experience of these guys at all.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I suspect it will be that price per linear meter! I would say 5L glue would do.

"rubbercover" sell offcuts via eBay for around £10/m if you can find a suitable size, better to do one piece rather than a join if possible. You'll need a larger quantity of water based adhesive for the main area and a smaller amount of stronger bonding adhesive for the perimeter - they all state the coverage but I'd add a bit extra if buying online as delivery is a killer. As a DIYer I've found the various trims and their uses a bit difficult to understand but there's a few YouTube vids that make it a bit clearer. And yes, you do glue it straight to the board.

Sponsored Links
18m2 for £33.69. I'd take another look iwy
was a little confused as to iwy stands for google says its I want you ( thanks but Im already taken;) )
I suspect it will be that price per linear meter! I would say 5L glue would do.
well i have emailed them but i did put in the length and width and it gave me the square M. price was reduced from £177.
But as the old saying goes " if it looks too good to be true"

So yess you were correct it was per linear M, despite not a single mention of the word Linear not impressed with that company at all

Last edited:
Does epdm need special edging trims?
I was going to use lengths of cladding fixed to the roof edges is that ok?

You can do what you want if you're good at bodging - you need to restrain the EPDM and direct the water into the gutter. I used the one above on my first one, on the second a similar one with a built in "drip". They are both two part and sandwich the rubber between them. I could probably have concocted something but decided it wasn't worth the hassle for the small saving. The side trims are a bit more basic - they just form a small upstand and could easily be replicated with some "locally sourced materials"

You can do what you want if you're good at bodging - you need to restrain the EPDM and direct the water into the gutter. I used the one above on my first one, on the second a similar one with a built in "drip". They are both two part and sandwich the rubber between them. I could probably have concocted something but decided it wasn't worth the hassle for the small saving. The side trims are a bit more basic - they just form a small upstand and could easily be replicated with some "locally sourced materials"
Thanks for that, on my old summer house I simply laid the felt on the osb , folded it over and secured it to the underside then used some cladding nailed to the edge of the osb.
A bit of investigation leads me to the following idea. fix some batten to the front and sides of the osb (on the top). Then lay the epdm on the roof, over the batten and side of the osb and fix to the underside of the osd. If needed ( or wanted ) I can use cladding attached to the sides.
For the back maybe fit a small gutter and down pipe.
What do you think?

Why do you want to do EPDM ? For a summer house I would use some of that corrugated onduline stuff that Wickes sells (£13/squ m) which in my experience is quite robust and good for many years.

Why do you want to do EPDM ? For a summer house I would use some of that corrugated onduline stuff that Wickes sells (£13/squ m) which in my experience is quite robust and good for many years.
I did look at that but that needs a bigger slope angle than I have!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back