erratic idle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys my daughters complaining he rcar idles erratically on cold start and sometimes stalls, ill inspect in the morning but wouldnt mind a few pointers as to what to look at first

seat ibiza 1.2 2004

any tips welcomed
regards

terry

Sponsored Links
it will probably be the throttle plate in the throttle body gummed up, its easy to clean but will need diagnostic equipment to reset the throttle body correctly afterwards,

As above, sometimes if the temperature sensor goes faulty the cold idle get a bit erratic. Also have a wee look around the top of the engine for perished vacuum pipes, it may well be sucking in to much air. just mightn't notice it when hot.

If all else fails get the fault codes read, might point you in the direction of the fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxArm-Ra-Qw

done a quick inspection the erratic idle clears after being rev'd could almost say its missing until rev'd up sufficiently or after several stalls on turn over or fuel delivery, im going to college tomorrow however first dry day i will check spark plugs and lead ect air leaks etc as the problem is now existant on a warm engine so ill go back to loooking at its basics first and get back to you guys

thanks for all the help and advise

terry

Sponsored Links
hi guys, ive cleaned the throttle using a carb cleaner however i havent pulled the sensor out out for cleaning yet.

can any of you guys tell me as to what would be needed afterwards in terms of software needed, is it a vag com to reprogram part number to ecu or a case of a simple fault codes reader to clear any codes associated with disconnecting the sensor

the fault is still existant but a bit improved not as bad as it was so burnerman and tim i think ti was are right in saying thottle coked up.

regards
terry

you shouldnt need any re programming, ive never heard of the throttle body needing this after cleaning etc
same goes for disconnecting sensors, just make sure you do it with the engine off and all should be well
im not familiar with this engine but it could be possible it uses some kind of idle stabiliser valve which also gets coked up and benefits from cleaning

As it's idling, give all the air hoses a good wiggle and see if the engine note changes, it could be an air leak. The big convoluted rubber one between the airflow meter and the throttle body can sometimes crack in between the convolutions, letting air in and causing a rough idle.

Back