Estimates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just querying the best way to approach getting quotes/estimates.

I've taken the time to write a semi-detailed list of what I need doing in my renovation.

I've asked numerous builders to come over and quote me for the work.

I've had a couple estimates back sumarising the list I've put together but not in as much detail as I did (although mine wasn't exceptionally detailed) and then a figure to go with it.

What's the best way to approach this?

* Is it ok to go back to the builders and ask them to provide estimates for the exact work listed on the document I provided?
* Is it then rude to ask them to give me an exact quote ,I know that's tricky but even if I don't mind paying a little extra for peace of mind that all the work I've listed will be done for a price that I know will be the final figure? Would they be bothered doing this knowing that may not get the job?

Any help or advise and guidance on how to approach builders without them thinking I'm being difficult and getting them on my side.

I don't want the world for peanuts I just want to know where I stand with regards to budgets.

Also, is it ok to ask the builder, even if the jobs are small/medium sized to provide a contract or will a signed quote for the work suffice?

Sorry for the many questions.

Thanks for your time.

Byron

Sponsored Links
You could just try giving them a call and in a friendly way discuss the issues you have, if you are polite and upfront then there should be no problem, explain that you need a price to be fixed for what they can see and that you understand that some things may uncover more unexpected work and that you would be happier that everyone could agree on prices for extra work. Work is very competitive at the moment and anyone wanting a contract would be happy to do this imo. I like to provide a fixed quote where possible with the agreement with the customer that any extra or unforseen work must be agreed before it will commence further. I have heard of tradespeople walking away from unfinished jobs with alot of the money BUT I have also heard of customers refusing or disputing a final bill or not paying up at all. I think if you are fair with people and they can see that you are being as hinest and up-front as possible that life should be that little bit easier for everyone involved.

Dunno about you others who have to go out last call on an afternoon, or on a Saturday to what may be a 'Quote Hunter', or worse someone who asks all the questions about 'how would you do this'?, when what is meant is tell me how I can get over this.......

Its fine to me if potential customers who invite me to their homes, actually welcome me in (I always offer to remove my work boots, but occasionally my trousers/shirt will have some dust/carp on them...). An offer of a cup of tea goes a whole long way towards easing both parties into meaningful discussion, after all, why would I spend a lot of my time and diesel wasting theirs?

Others may have a different approach of course which works well for them though,

Now the reason for these ramblings (if anyone can be bothered to have read this far ;) )is to the OP, engage yourself with your 'quotees', I am sure it helps, have the kettle on when they call and dare i suggest it, show them the colour of your money. (by that I mean be plain about your seriousness to go ahead) - but, and its a big but, don't necessarily go for the lowest, because you may well have to suffer their company in your home for weeks ahead, ensure they have the experience/resources to carry out your requirements, and do ask them to show where else they have completed similar schemes.

Best of British.

DH

Sponsored Links
If the tradesman is serious about working for you he would have given you a detailed estimate/quote for the work. All tradesman expect you to change your mind and ask questions, as you are not expected to know everything. You might think some questions are silly but he should be there to help you. If he's not and he brushes you off then that is the time you should look elsewhere as he is obviously not that interested and that will be his attitude to any work he does for you.

Back