ethylene glycol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys i would like to ask a few questions about antifreze.

in a country where there is no frost antifreeze is not used, this lowers the boiling point back to 100 degrees and with desalinated water as coolant rust is sure to build up in the system.

ethylene glycol being toxic cannot be used in the country where waste goes to sea and could create a environmental issue, is ethylene glycol a rust inhibitor or do they put the rust inhibitor into the ethylene glycol.

anyone knwo what sort of dye is used to colour liquids

ive read that anti freeze is toxic does anyone knwo to what exteme ie is ocean dumping ok as it this could reduce the pollutant level percentages etc.
anyone know how it is made
cheers

Sponsored Links
hi guys i would like to ask a few questions about antifreze.

in a country where there is no frost antifreeze is not used, this lowers the boiling point back to 100 degrees and with desalinated water as coolant rust is sure to build up in the system.

Ah but the system is pressurised which raises the boiling point. I'm not sure what effect EG has on boiling point but I suspect the pressurisation has more effect.

As the system is sealed and if there is little air rust shouldn't be a problem. I've run a car on straight distilled over the summer with no adverse effects.

ethylene glycol being toxic cannot be used in the country where waste goes to sea and could create a environmental issue, is ethylene glycol a rust inhibitor or do they put the rust inhibitor into the ethylene glycol.

I don't think it's a rust inhibitor but I could be wrong. It's basically an alcohol so I imagine you have to add an inhibitor..... Yup, according to Wikipedia you do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

yeah your right my mistake it is pressure that increases boiling point.

but our tutor at college definatly said antifreeze is either a inhibitor or has inhibitor in it as an additive.

the real problem is some fellow property investors in cape verde africa have cars there the locals use no antifreeze as there is no frost its on the equator, however thsi leaves cars with no summer coolant no inhibitor and cars run hotter quicker.

so ive looked at antifreeze and found it is hamrfull to marine life so bearing in mind these are 15 islands with no on land dumping wikipedia says its toxic so i guess that another reason why it isnt used, so does anyone knwo of a good way to dispose of antifreeze can it be reduced to syrup again and burnt off etc.

I'm fairly sure that you used to be able to buy an inhibitor on its own. Whether you still can is anyone's guess. As for disposing of ethylene Glycol simply add it to wine like the French do.

Sponsored Links
Not so much rust as Electrolysis, must be reduced or the engine will "rust" internally. It puts pin holes in the cylinder walls, then you have water/coolant in the sump. Some manufacturers are very prone to this major fault.

I would imagine that 'Fernox' as used in domestic water systems would make a good corrsion inhibitor.

Peter

Another thing to consider- is that careless people who leave Eth Gly antifreeze in containers- after draining their cooling systems- run the risk of poisoning cats-who seem addicted to it-. I have seen it on youtube.

i dont think poisoning to dogs and cats is a problem out there they use strycnine to kill all dogs and cats

Ethylene glycol antifreezes aren't used that widely these days - at least not in modern European cars. They tend to be (OAT) (Organic Acid Technology) stuff - which is supposed to be much better for the car - (at least from a corrosion protection point of view) and then there's Propylene Glycol based stuff - which is supposed to be much less (maybe even non) toxic.

This is the sort of stuff:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ant.aspx

I don't know much about the OAT stuff - except there are several sorts, so best see what the vehicle manufacturer recommends at first fill and then see what environmentally friendly stuff you can get that's compatible. You do have a fair few options though.

any animal that eats the baited food, they just drive round throwing poisoned meat on the street and into peoples gardens where they keep pets that would otherwise keep locals outa yer property at night, local animals keep away from the locals but allow tourist to go near them who often adopt them an doffer food and shelter.

back to subject though, ive emailed my tutor about electrolysis about the affects and cause, what produces acidic water in an engine, to mantain a balance equivilent to here in the uk, ive not got an answer yet so im hoping you guys can shed more light on this for me as the only thing ive seen ofr electrolysis is that if a current passes through an engine then it can create hydrogen and other gases and to stop teh voltage by recification of anything that is at fault or possible cause.

i done a gas course some years ago so im tryint o relate to that a little.
products of combustion can make water acidic however the prodicts from a car are expelled via exhaust so i cant see that making coolant acidic unless head gasket is gone due to high temps endured on islands.

electrolysis again back to boilers where any flame produces and carries millivolts but cant see the conbustion of petrol producing excess voltage to hinder the engine does any other voltage go through the engine?? auto electrics we bearly covered so far just parralel and series circuits.

so im not sure about these things and ask advise maybe ive misunderstood and the post by mursal can he shed more light on the matter??

lastly im tryin gto find my porfollio about tyre, what i knwo about them is black tyres are more flexible suitable for uk needs where climate changes pressure daily however these crack with age and direct sun light

white walls less flexible but resist direct sun light affects

so what would the best be for a land with little roads just dirt treks on worn out rocks that are like a refined sand very dusty stuff with very uneven ground in places

im uk but going to cape verde islands, doin abusmans holiday for fellow property ivestors out there as the locals are crap at what they do and take weeks to do it.

murs thanks ive looked at it and it would seem then that the coolant prevents it, i would say to my freinds then they definatly need something in the system, so can anything be suggested as to safe disposal islands are like 5miles by 20 miles even smaller on the one im going to, hence no land dump only ocean dumping, if reduced can the syrup be burnt of do you know??
cheers

terry

Sponsored Links
Back