Eurolock jamming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two year old upvc porch door with a multipoint locking system and a Euro lock. I used not to use the lock as the inner door is very secure but recently I have started using it to prevent access to a storage room when I am away.

I find that it locks OK but on three occasions when I went to unlock it after a few days away I found that the key would only turn about 200 degrees and then jammed without moving the bolt back. After several attempts, including activating the handle up and down, it eventually gave in, but the situation is not acceptable as if it jammed entirely I would have to break windows to get in. The lock assembly is a Lockmaster (a PLS13 ER I think). I have tried grease/WD40 etc. with no joy. The lock cylinder itself seems fine (a "Q" make).

Any suggestions as to how to rectify the problem without replacing the entire lock (which is otherwise in as new condition)? Should I take the lock apart and do a bit of filing? Is it easy to remove the entire assembly? (I have not done this before!).

Sponsored Links
If you inserted grease into the lock barrel then you'll probably now need a new barrel. Grease and lock barrels do not go together.

Thanks for the comment but I just put grease over the 'lever' that sticks out of the barrel. The eurolock seems absolutely fine, it's the interaction of the 'lever' with the sliding bolt mechanism that jams (that's why I can turn the key 200 degrees).

hi
Get the door wide open and handle up then turn the key, if working fine means there is the door adjustment req, probably the door needs to go up.
Hopefully your hinges will do.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions. Yesterday I dismantled the lock and found that a U-shaped bit of metal that prevents the lock being pushed back when in the locked position was poorly finished with sharp edges and jamming when the lock was turned to open. A bit of work with a fine file to ease the edges, and some extra grease, and all now seems well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back