Existing cooker control unit

Andy

Yes the convenience factor and use of touch controls would make the switch useful in a scenario such as that described.

When you or guest in your property gets a belt from it! How do you think?
The cooker controls ain't going to stop that and don't bank on the protective device doing so either!
Well, I would like to know about a live appliance casing before I touch it, really.

So if I touch the cooker where the basic and fault protection have both failed, it sounds like you're suggesting that subsequent to my serious injury/death, I have a switch from where my zombie corpse can isolate the cooker and prevent anyone else meeting the maker too. If so that is not right; the requirements of the regulations are to prevent death and serious injury from electricity, a cooker switch cannot perform that function upon failure of basic and fault protection.

If you feel that additional protection is required, I suggest you think about adding a 30mA RCD of the appropriate characteristics.

Sponsored Links
Well, I would like to know about a live appliance casing before I touch it, really.
If that was the case you best carry a voltage indicator around with you then!
So if I touch the cooker where the basic and fault protection have both failed, it sounds like you're suggesting that subsequent to my serious injury/death, I have a switch from where my zombie corpse can isolate the cooker and prevent anyone else meeting the maker too. If so that is not right; the requirements of the regulations are to prevent death and serious injury from electricity, a cooker switch cannot perform that function upon failure of basic and fault protection.
An isolator is also there for maintenance purposes, so once on finding the corpse/injured body (or just maybe discovering the fault without serious injury occurring), then that person can safely isolate the appliance, remove the body to which ever location is required, deemed by the condition of the body and then go about repairing the fault.
If you feel that additional protection is required, I suggest you think about adding a 30mA RCD of the appropriate characteristics.
I don't feel or suggest anything of a kind, I am purely pointing out, that the cooker controls do not isolate the appliance, and you seem to want justify an argument for that!

If that was the case you best carry a voltage indicator around with you then!
Only because your suggesting protective devices cannot be relied upon.

I don't feel or suggest anything of a kind
But you did ...

don't bank on the protective device

I am purely pointing out, that the cooker controls do not isolate the appliance, and you seem to want justify an argument for that!
I don't disagree that the controls cannot isolate the device. The original discussion was however relating to removing power from the cooker rings if something were to happen. If they were available and convenient I would be using them, but as Andy has pointed out and as I've acknowledged that's not always the case, especially with touch buttons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back