Expansion Tank overflowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am attempting to fix my Mother's Central Heating system and would welcome any advice.
She has recently turned the Central Heating on and there is now water coming out of the overflow pipe. This usually occurs soon after the boiler has first fired up in the morning.
The boiler is a HALSTEAD Buckingham 3 Open Flue CF 40 (40,000 Btu/h), and this is used to provide both hot water, and the Central Heating. I believe that the system is fully pumped. The property is a Bungalow which has 6 radiators, and 4 or 5 of the radiators have been flushed through and cleaned within the last few years. The boiler is now approx 7 years old , and so is the pump.
I have been up in the loft, where both the cold water and the expansion tanks are located. When the boiler and Central heating were both on I noticed that there was a continuous stream, although only a small flow, of hot water coming out of the Vent pipe and into the Expansion tank. The water in that tank was also quite warm, with steam rising from the tank.

Can anyone please advise as to what I should look at first, bearing in mind that there were no problems earlier in the year when the Heating was on. I am a little concerned regarding the piping to the radiators, as this was the smaller bore system, which was installed some 20+ years ago. Does the system just need flushing? I realise that this can be very costly if carried out by a CORGI registered engineer.

Many thanks,
Dezzer. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi, Although the water in the Overflow tank looks quite clear, it also looks as though there is a rust coloured sediment in the tank. I will have to look again with more light.
I would also like to add that my Mother had her loft insulated recently, and only noticed the overflowing water after this insulation. I have checked the ball cock and that is working ok.
Thanks again,
Dezzerjavascript:emoticon(':(')

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back