Experience With External Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering what peoples experience is with the differing types of external render avaliable these days. I have read the pros and cons of each but a lot of it is "marketing", so if anyone has real world experience or knowledge of the actual finished product, twould be much appreciated.

Need to remove/replace existing blown 1930s pebble-dash, however the norm in the street is now a smooth white render. It is a standard semi-detached, with bottom 3/4 in brick work, a decorative divide, then top 1/4 in pebble-dash. It is not in a particularly exposed area.

So my options:

1) The standard Sand and Cement...then painted white. Apparently this does not let the brickwork beneath "breath". Concern over lack of elasticity so cracks may appear. But maybe a tried and tested method, why question it... (Some apparently add lime to the mix to reduce chance of cracking etc.)

2) Lime Render? Lets brickwork breath, moves with brickwork, so less cracking? What are the downsides with this method? Time consuming? Cost?

3) Modern One Coat Render with "polymers" etc which apparently has the benefits of Sand/Cement but also breaths and moves? However read many conflicting reports about how good they really are...

4) Also seen something about clay based render, which is meant to be a very green option but do not know much else.

Any thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Looks like people who do render are sadly lacking mate,as I can't get any replys to my question re rendering either,so good luck and please post any info u find out here as will I on my 30 nov post

What you want to know me old mate i mite be able to help you with what I know :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Right lets start here how deep are your pockets??
normal sand/render is fine with lime over bricks or blocks dont matter the point of the lime is to help movement and let it breath along with the added bonus of it being a plastersizer for the mix we love it.
then painted over with a good breathable masonry paint i dont see a problem there as millions of homes have this render and paint it??

As for modern render you mean monocouche render or a thin coat acrlyic render
there really good but a little bit more ££££ then normal s/c render BUT after the time and cost it takes to paint normal render i op for monocouche any day i has so much more benefits then s/c render
never need to paint
the colors you can get it
breathable
anti mold ect
good ashler cutting
upvc beads
full mesh and bonding coats

thin coat systems
offer loads too
have you had a think about EWI render

Thanks for your information: A few questions

As I will only be rendering the top quarter of the house, and as far as I can see no beading will be required (it has a traditional raised brick pattern divide) what is most suitable. Is it purely cost?

I just want something that will look good for the long term as a smooth finish, suitable for the brickwork (cavity wall) underneath and will not crack (or hairline crack).

With the modern monocouche, does it not get stained (weathered) in the long term? Surely it will need repainting at some point? Or would it just need cleaning? Is there a downside to a single (thinner?) monocouche layer compared to the thicker sand/cement? Will a thinner render break off easier? More fragile?

monocouche is a s/c based render with a batched pigment and sealers
mono is fine over brick block caverty timber frame cast concrete etc

a thin coat system is still a build up system like mono it will need primer/base coat mesh and top coat.

no mono dont really stain well it depends on what your doing to it or near it like heavy main road traffic bird poop etc just need a water and brush off when ever you think it need it like normal render.

you can buy a monocouche render sealer that helps prevent anything staining it.
monocouche is a pre blended bagged render that is all the same colour mix thickness and strength along with the base coat and mesh you really cant go wrong as it can be finished scraped rubbed up rough cast or ashlar cut....
we have done loads of thin coat and mono jobs along with EWI systems If you need any more info or help or quote drop me a msg

somtimes I wish we had less choice.....

So....basically, it comes back to my original question.....

Which of these systems would people most reccomend for an 1930s property which is 1/4 rendered.

Or is it just a case of they are all pretty much good if done properly, My only concern about sand and cement is that it will micro-crack a lot and not let the brick breath (does adding lime fix this?).

Or is one system clearly better than the others...

lime helps as for modern renders there about the same yer
we still use fiberglass mesh in s/c as well as mono and thin coat why not it all helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back