Exploding Shower Mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My current thermostatic shower mixer (Neptune thermostatic mixer made by MX) keeps blowing apart it the mixer valves.

We previously had an turkish shower cabinet installed which was fine until the tray broke. As it was too flash, we ripped it all out and went for a simple shower mixer.

Each time, I have checked the acrylic discs, checked the valve (cleaned it in case of blockage), checked the fittings and rubber seal and ensured that the cap screw itself is sitting correctly, but now the gap still remains between the mixer and the bar as water still gushes through.

I have had 3 replacements from the manufacturer and it keeps occurring.

The shower feeds hot and cold directly from the combi boiler. I also have a small hand basin using the pipes and that is perfectly fine - no problems at all.

Q1. The shower mixer is rated to 5bars? Could it be i have too much pressure? If you what should i do?

Q2. Are there shower mixers which are "heavy duty" to handle the pressure? Any recommendations/sites?

Q3. Are all shower mixer fittings universal for a straight swap? Or would i have to remove tiles to re-plumb the shower connectors?

I am happy to purchase another mixer (ie from Screwfix) but dont want
the same problems. I have a 3month old baby and cant afford to keep messing with this.

I just want to have a shower in peace!!

Thanks for your time

Any advice deeply Appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Q1. The shower mixer is rated to 5bars? Could it be i have too much pressure? If you what should i do?

Q2. Are there shower mixers which are "heavy duty" to handle the pressure? Any recommendations/sites?

Q3. Are all shower mixer fittings universal for a straight swap? Or would i have to remove tiles to re-plumb the shower connectors?

Q1. The neptune MX thermostatic can be used on high pressure installations. Your combi won't be giving out 5bars pressure anyway ;)

Q2. There are a wide range of showers that can be used with combi's ranging from £75-£1000's! I fit Alterna (grahams range) for cheaper ones and Grohe for the more expensive ones.

Q.3 Not all shower valves want the pipes in the same place no! However if your replacing a relatively new bar type mixer (which you are) with another bar type then its more than likely that the pipes will be in the right place! However if you have a couple of the old tiles left then keep them incase the pipes do need altering or are damaged.

Should be a straightforward swap though. oh an get a grohe! :D

not that I know, but it sounds like you mean the connectors are coming apart.

This suggests to me that they have been fitted wrong, or possibly you are trying to connect incompatible parts.

This does not suggest to me that the mixer is at fault.

Can you post some pics of the thing that is coming apart, showing the leaking joint?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Sponsored Links
Thanks ALL for the headsup - certainly given me alot to think about. Will be checking the range of mixers as advised.
Thank you again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back