Exporting earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

A few years back I helped with putting power into a camp site.

Started small with a 3ph 63A MCB, 25mm² 4C SWA to a hut, from there 3x 32A RCBO & 2C 6mm² SWA to adjacent toilet block and 2 pillars.

It is claimed to be TNC but there is regularly a few volts between N & E. Earth was not exported from the building, 2 earth rods were fitted at each of the 4 locations.

We later added another RCBO to 'the barn', being a timber structure ~4mx6m open on one short side used for a shelter/meeting point/entertainment area.

We have gone back to add another pillar, dug the trench and buried the duct but found a dated note on the 3ph board '25mm earth added from MET' and sure enough a hole has been drilled in the enclosure, paint scrapped off (and rusted) and 25mm² green yellow bent round and fixed with plated steel bolt, washer & nut. All ends of SWA's which had been carefully glanded into insulated plates for isolation have had banjos fitted and bonded to earth bars.

2P MCB's throughout have been replaced with SP RCBO's.

My boss is livid that all that has been done, especially exporting the earth from the building to all locations.

I haven't looked in any books (Then or now) but my understanding is camp sites should be TT and 2P OCPD as we originally fitted. My bosses reaction seems to be the same, he is usually very clued up and has sat on IEE committees in the past.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Sponsored Links
but my understanding is camp sites should be TT and 2P OCPD as we originally fitted.
Correct. Nothing has changed.

708.411.4.png

Unlike most of the other items in BS7671, connecting a caravan to a PME supply is prohibited by law.

Even if there are no actual caravans, a TN system is still a very poor choice for such a location.
TT with DP protective devices would be the usual arrangement.

Do we think these alterations have been done as the result of an EICR or something, and is there likely to be a report floating around in a drawer that may have the reasons this work was carried out?

Correct. Nothing has changed.

View attachment 266922

Unlike most of the other items in BS7671, connecting a caravan to a PME supply is prohibited by law.

Even if there are no actual caravans, a TN system is still a very poor choice for such a location.
TT with DP protective devices would be the usual arrangement.
Thank you John, this is one area I truly couldn't imagine changing or for that matter such a system being correct.

Sponsored Links
Do we think these alterations have been done as the result of an EICR or something, and is there likely to be a report floating around in a drawer that may have the reasons this work was carried out?
I assume this is what has happened and boss has asked for full details, I'm only hired labour on this and not that involved in official discussions.

EDIT: There have also been comments about the light wiring in the hut containing the DB needs to be upgraded from clipped T&E to conduit but that hasn't been changed and I'm half expecting it to be part of the job.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back