Exposed brick inside - preparation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have removed plaster from an inside wall, and well rather like the exposed brick look. If possible I'd like to avoid the 'it was never meant to be exposed'/'it looks hideous' flame war :)

My only questions are how to treat it? The bricks themselves are good enough, but looks like it needs repointing. However, I'm worried about damaging the brick when cutting out the old mortar.

Also, I've read conflicting reports about 'sealing' the wall after. Some say it makes the brick take on a fake glossy look, which I definitely don't want.

Sponsored Links
Wire brush the bricks off, carefully with either drill attachment or hammer/bolster rake out the old mortar and re-point the whole wall gaugeing your mortar mix as you go . Why would you want to seal the brickwork? Bricks breathe, thats what their designed to do,Don't spoil water vapour transmissions from inner to outer skins either cavity construction or not.Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back