extending 12v kitchen unit lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a set of downlights for under kitchen units. There are 5 x 12v halogen lights from 1 transformer (from B&Q). The lights all have connectors and plug in to a connector block on the transformer. The cable on each light is 2.4m but this is not enough for one of the lights so my questions are
1. As I can't get an extension cable, can I just cut this cable and extend it using blocks (or would solder joints be better)?
2. What is the best cable to use? The existing cable is 0.75mm silicone cable. Would it have to be the same or can I use 1mm T&E?

Thanks.
Tim.

Sponsored Links
This is exactly the reason I hate link lights and pre-made kits.

And halogen is the worst kind of work light.

You probably shouldn't extend the cables - voltage drop is much more serious with ELV lighting than LV, as the currents are 20x greater for the same wattage, but you can check here: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Lighting/VoltageDrop.html.

If you do extend then use a junction box, or choc-block in a choc-box, not solder, and stick to 0.75mm² flex as the light terminals might not accept 1mm² T/E.

You might find you need to extend all of the cables by the same amount to keep all the lamps the same brightness and colour.

Oh, and: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back