Extending a ring circuit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to extend my ring circuit into my new extension, on the rear of my house. However all the upstairs of my house has laminated flooring, making it impossible to access under the floorboards. I am intending to extend the circuit from the room next to the extension, from a socket there. However where do I situate the 2 junction boxes\\\' ?

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
First of all, please try to avoid using JBs. If you are extending the ring by getting at a socket, and using JBs to connect to new cables, then surely you can run the new cables directly to the socket (and the next one)?

Secondly, laminate flooring is difficult to deal with.

See here

Budget for replacing the floor.

What's the problem with using junction boxes? Is it unsafe, even if they are properly (or even over-) rated for the size of cicuit?

IEE Wiring regulations state that connections other than compression (ie, crimps) should be accessible......blar blar......I've used JB's under the floor (within reason) and I see no real problems (my opinion) as long as the connections are good.......

Sponsored Links
That's interesting... I was intending doing a similiar thing. I need extra sockets in a room but my wires all disappear into concrete floor & ceiling so I've no way of knowing which is the next socket in the ring.

I intended to break into the ring by removing a socket completely and connecting each of the 2 cables to its own j.b. Then connecting the new sockets to these.

Is the problem just to do with access ? If I mount the j.b.s on the wall (which is possible as they will be under a fitted desk) will this fulfill the regulations ?

Thanks.

It can be done, but you can use one these to hide them !

images

:D

Gussie said:
That's interesting... I was intending doing a similiar thing. I need extra sockets in a room but my wires all disappear into concrete floor & ceiling so I've no way of knowing which is the next socket in the ring.

I intended to break into the ring by removing a socket completely and connecting each of the 2 cables to its own j.b. Then connecting the new sockets to these.

If it's extra sockets in a room, why not just spur them off existing sockets on the ring?

As for not knowing the sequence of sockets why not find out? Isolate the ring then disconnect all your appliances and dismantle one of the sockets you want to use. Then disconnect another nearby socket and by testing continuity work out which cable connects between them and check that there aren't any other sockets connected between them. You can then effectively get rid of that section of cable and wire in your new sockets between them, thus restoring ring continuity and using no JBs at all.

Just a suggestion

Therefore can I extend the ring with crimps which will be plastered into the wall ? Will I need to cover the crimps with insulation tape due to the moisture of the plaster ?

Best to make these accessible too. Sink a box in the wall, crimp the connections and fit a blank plate - that way they are easily accessible in the event of a fault.

securespark said:
Best to make these accessible too. Sink a box in the wall, crimp the connections and fit a blank plate - that way they are easily accessible in the event of a fault.

Firstly, thanks I should have performed a search, prior to asking my much repeated question. But I want to crimp the existing cables, but I definitely want to plaster over the crimped connection.

Question 1) when crimping the cables, do I put one cable each side of the crimp, or both cables in one side of the crimp, the advice posted so far seems contradictory. (This is presuming I use yellow butt crimps)

Question 2) Do I need to put the cable in capping, or some other box.

Question 3) If I don't use a box, should I tape around each crimp with insulating tape.

THe reason I ask is that obviously the plaster will be wet, do crimps provide a totally waterproof seal ?

Thanks.

when you say crimps, you mean a standard reb/blue/yellow insulated crimp?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back