extending a ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise please?

I want to add a double socket in a bedroom but dont have any easily accessible sockets to run a spur from because those nearby already have spurs.

I think the only option is therefore to extend the ring.

The internal walls in my house are made of Stramit board (compressed straw) which has cable channels built in every 6 inches or so. It is therefore very easy for me to run a cable out of an existing socket up the wall and into the loft and then down into another wall.

My question is - can I extend the ring by removing one cable from an existing socket and joining it directly to a new length of cable, taking the new cable to a new socket and then back to the original socket? Does that make sense?

If so, is it best to connect the new length of cable using a block connector or crimp connectors. Crimps would obviously take up less room in the socket box but are they sufficiently safe/reliable :?:

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yeh sorry - I didn't realise both posts would appear together like that.

Anyway, braking into the ring under the floor and using junction boxes seems like a hell of a lot of work and mess just to create one extra socket.

Removing the carpet, removing wayroc chip boards (which usually break and require replacing), installing 2 junction boxes, routing cable from junction boxes up through the stramit board wall (which is much easier said than done - trying to locate the channels from underneath the wayroc boards is a nightmare). You cant "chase" into stramit board like you can plasterboard or a traditionally plastered brick/block wall. You can see why I would want to avoid this approach if possible.

Breaking into the ring behind an exisiting socket is far far easier and more practical. I realise that this is probably not the *best* way to do it, but as long as it is safe and reliable then it is preferable in my circumstances.

What crimps should I use? Are those little pvc insulated ones you can get from any DIY shop ok? I assume it is the blue ones I need to use as they are rated at 32Amps, rather than the red ones which I think are 25 Amp.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the Blue ones are only rated at 20A, however for the purpose you propose they are sufficiently rated as each would only be on half the ring.

HOWEVER, personally I would use Yellow 6mm crimps, just personal preference you understand.

Sponsored Links
That's strange. For butt splice terminals the CPC catalogue says Red = 25A Blue = 32A Yellow = 48A

The terminals your looking at maywell have a higher rating than those from wholesalers and manufactured by Tyco etc to a different BS.

I do know that that there are different ratings for these things..so long as the ratings are higher, not lower, there is no real problem.

teecee90 said:
What crimps should I use? Are those little pvc insulated ones you can get from any DIY shop ok? I assume it is the blue ones I need to use as they are rated at 32Amps, rather than the red ones which I think are 25 Amp.

Also, and apologies if you already knew this, but JIC - you should use a proper ratchet crimper, not one of the flimsy squeeze&hope ones commonly sold in the sheds and other DIY shops. (Although to be fair, Bodgit & Quickjob do sell a ratchet tool)

I just use a 30amp choc-block, mounted in a earthed flush metal box, with a blanking plate covering the front.

This way no risks are taken, as with crimps, and joint remains accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back