extending electric cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
going to lower ceiling on the staircase and extending the cable from the ceiling rose but the rose won't move ie stuck tight with paint what would your solution be ie join cabe to the existing cable or try to break off the rose and rewire new cable new cable lengh would be about a metre longi f i had to extend with a wago conection what one would you recomend
thanks all in advance

Sponsored Links
Personally I would change the ceiling rose, but I am an electrician, you could use a connector 1677271999983.png either two or three pin depending how many cores, but it depends on your skill.

Sponsored Links
With suspended ceilings it is common to use these 1677311099424.png so the ceiling panel can be unplugged and swapped without turning of the lights to the whole office. I see no real difference between fixed socket and a in-line socket, the only problem is lack of earth connection, and without seeing how the new light is to be used or fixed can't really comment on that.

Personally I would change the ceiling rose, but I am an electrician, you could use a connector View attachment 296667 either two or three pin depending how many cores, but it depends on your skill.
The danger with using one of these is putting the open pin end on the feed side. And they are not maintenance free so, technically, against the rules.

The danger with using one of these is putting the open pin end on the feed side.
You make a good point, as an electrician just never considered anyone could be that daft, some are better than others 1677313954446.pngthe cover on some locks the plug into the socket, and the plug has recessed pins anyway. But we have to expect some common sense to be used.

I note one person is always saying sockets should not be fitted to lighting circuits, but I use them OK not a 13 amp plug 1677314331857.pngit is designed for lighting. But 1677314476769.pngit can be used with any other appliance if I was daft enough to use the plug.

I've never had a ceiling rose that wouldn't open, however much paint, plaster or Artex had been applied to it. Scrape/cut the crap off it, use A knife blade to clear the joint if necessary, wear gloves for better grip when unscrewing it.

I've never had a ceiling rose that wouldn't open, however much paint, plaster or Artex had been applied to it. Scrape/cut the crap off it, use A knife blade to clear the joint if necessary, wear gloves for better grip when unscrewing it.
Lucky you.

I've have too many where the decorator has had the sense to unscrew the cover before painting... however replacing the cover when the base is covered with wet silk or eggshell paint does not make sense.

Always drop the cover down and some tape over the threaded section. Or a sliver of Vaseline.

The wrong way round plug and socket scenario reminded me of a job I once saw. Piece of flex with a plugtop each end. Twin socket and plastix backbox mounted on wall. One end plugged in and the other end plugged into an existing socket gives power (single powerpoint) to the unplugged socket of the new twin. OK until someone unplugs that end and hols that plug in their hand ...... Ouch. I actually saw a similar set up elsewhere with a lead and two BT plugs , one at each end. 50V telephone can hurt and indeed is not considered safe in certain locations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back