Extending over a sewer.... advice please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying a Victorian end of terrace house and have just found out that there is a public sewer running underneath part of the property... Is this a no-no? I intended building a side-return extension, but this would be again over the sewer... Would this cause a problem? I would appreciate any advise you can give me as I don't know whether to proceed with the purchase... or am I setting myself up for a major disaster... Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
My extension is over a sewer, we didnt know it was there building control let me bridge it, which gave me a bigger extension.

Sponsored Links
it is possible to bridge over a drain line when the wall is at 90 degrees to the drain or at least bridging it at an angle.

it is possible but extremely expensive to build over a drain when the wall is built over the drain directly above and in-line.

if it cannot possibly be re-sited, access chambers can remain inside a dwelling, though this situation is to be avoided for obvious reasons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back