Extending Ring Mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install further pwr points in the kitchen. I have a dbl 13amp socket behind a base unit that is unused. I intend to remove this & carry on the ring. My question is how to make the connection to the tails on the old 13amp socket. The floor is tiled & the wiring is coming up from the floor.
My thoughts were to get a 2 x 30amp terminal blocks make the connection within the old metal box. then exit the cables through a blanking plate that I would pre drill to allow the cable exit, then clip the new cables to the wall. All the new cabling will be hidden behind cabinets. My concern, was the cable exit from the removed 13amp socket.

Sponsored Links
(decent) crimps would be better than choc bloc and you would need to put a grommet in the hole through which the cables emerge.

but why make lifedifficult, the socket is already in the wall? why not remove some plaster and go into the existing box that way front plate is not damaged, and its easier, but you still need gromet (wallice being optional)

Breezer, Are you saying exit from the side of the existing metal box, but still put a blanking plate inplace of the original dbl socket?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back