extending the ring main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I'd like to install 2 double sockets in a new build conservatory.
I have an existing double socket nearby that has 2 cables going into it.
From what I've read as it doesn't have 1 or 3 cables it's possible to spur but however not for 2 double sockets.
So, am I safe to assume that because there are 2 cables at the existing socket it is definitely on the ring main and the simplest option would be to extend this ring main from the socket returning to the ring main via a junction box.
I may be over cautious but is there a simple test I can carry out to be 100% sure the existing socket IS on the ring main?
Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
graham1 said:
Hello all.
I'd like to install 2 double sockets in a new build conservatory.
I have an existing double socket nearby that has 2 cables going into it.
From what I've read as it doesn't have 1 or 3 cables it's possible to spur but however not for 2 double sockets.
So, am I safe to assume that because there are 2 cables at the existing socket it is definitely on the ring main and the simplest option would be to extend this ring main from the socket returning to the ring main via a junction box.
I may be over cautious but is there a simple test I can carry out to be 100% sure the existing socket IS on the ring main?
Any advice appreciated.
yes. go to the fusebox / consumer unit. If possible, isolate it elsewhere, but if not, flip the mainswitch off, bearing in mind some parts inside are still live. For the circuit in question, take out the lives, neutrals and earths from the relevant terminals, and connect the lives together and the neutrals together and earths together. Now, go to the socket, and take the cores out. Test continuity on the LIVES, using a multimeter on ohms. If there IS continuity / very low ohms reading, then the lives form a ring back to the fusebox, and it is a ring main. check the lives and neutrals too to be sure. Then go back and reconnect the circuit.

It may be ok to test without disconnecting from the fusebox, but i like to be thorough :LOL: i'm sure someone with more experience will confirm.

If you DONT have a multimeter, get a 9v battery and torch bulb, and make a simple circuit using the ringmain as part of the circuit. If the bulb lights, you have lift-off! :LOL:

Yes there is. You need a tester that can provide a continuity test.
Find the Breaker that feeds the Ring circuit and switch it off. Make sure you are safe and if need be switch off the main switch just to be sure. remove the 2 lives from the breaker and seperate them. If you put your tester across them you should get a closed circuit reading, now you need to prove that, Go and seperate the 2 cables at the socket and test again and you should get an open circuit (no reading) now conect them to the socket again and test again and your continuity should return. Strictly speaking you should do this with the neutrals as well as the earths to make sure theres no crossovers etc. Finally when you have proved the ring integrity, you can move on.

From my experience, if you have a Conservatory and want to fit Sockets, in order to avoid having to get Planning permission, you must be able to isolate them where they leave the existing property. This means having to fit a Fused spur connection. You can fit the sockets on a radial because of the 13A supply but that limits you to what you can plug in....such as what most people end up plugging into their Conservatories in Winter....HEATERS.
If you have Planning permission already by all means you can simply extend the Ring, but if not check on what Ive said to make sure it is in fact the case. This also applies to Water as well.

It also is notifiable work so take heed of whats been said before on this Forum.

To summarise.... Never assume that 2 cables means RING.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the prompt reponse guys.
I do intend to use the sockets to power a heater and possibly some other small appliances.
I've checked with building control in wandsworth, london and surprisingly they advise me that I can extend the ring main into the conservatory without planning permission which means, I hope, that I can install 2 double sockets.
I will carry out the tests as per your instructions to make sure it is a ring main, and as pointed out the work is notifiable.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back