Extending wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm moving a double plus sockets about a metre from where it is now.
It's on the ring main it has two cables connected.

Both sets of wire are not long enoughwhat would be the best way to extend?
Choc box
Junction box

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could always run a spur from the existing socket to the new one - assuming its not already a spur.
Two cables coming into a socket does not guarantee that it is a ring final circuit.

I can see the cable coming from and going to the other sockets. I don't want to run a spur because I want to completely get rid of the old socket (decorating and plastering)

Sponsored Links
I can see the cable coming from and going to the other sockets. I don't want to run a spur because I want to completely get rid of the old socket (decorating and plastering)
Then you are looking at crimping - using a proper ratchet type crimping tool or a maintenance free junction box like:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html?source=adwords&kw=&gclid=CL6MwaTHorgCFQbKtAodyngAfw
or
https://www.wagobox.com/

Whether these meet the regulations (junction boxes should be accessible unless maintenance free) has been debated here before.
//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/maintenance-free-vs-maintained-junction-boxes.314345/

There are other methods of joining cable but personally I would go for crimping and sleeving the crimp in heat shrink tubing - but you do need a proper tool and a little bit of practice.

If you can see the cables can't you replace the two cables with longer ones? and still retain the ring.

One of them goes of to another room and don't wont to take the carpet up in that room.
Think I'm gonna use a junction box ring ring out and spur to new location??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back