Extension/Conservatory brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help I have always believed that exterior walls were to be cavity with insulation, so can you tell me if Thermalite blocks are suitable as a single skin exterior wall.

Sponsored Links
You've got it right; a single skin brick wall will not provide suitable heat or damp insulation for a habitable room & Thermalite blocks are just not suitable AT ALL. Conservatories do not yet come under BC regulation but extensions do & this will certainly not comply; I don’t know who is doing your building work but I would have some serious doubts about their capability!

There is no requirement for exterior walls to be cavity - even in the building regs. What is required is that they resist moisture passage to the inside face, and there are lots of ways to achieve this.

A thermalite block can be used for the exterior wall, but the external face will normally require protection - mainly from frost. If it is sheltered (normally the side by the neighours fence) then it will be fine, if not a render or water resiting coating should be applied. I doubt anyone would want a conservatory with visible thermalite blocks anyway.

Internally, a drylining with or without insulation will make it as good as if not better than a solid 9" wall found on the majority of houses around the country

Sponsored Links
^woody^ said:
There is no requirement for exterior walls to be cavity - even in the building regs. What is required is that they resist moisture passage to the inside face, and there are lots of ways to achieve this.

A thermalite block can be used for the exterior wall, but the external face will normally require protection - mainly from frost. If it is sheltered (normally the side by the neighours fence) then it will be fine, if not a render or water resiting coating should be applied. I doubt anyone would want a conservatory with visible thermalite blocks anyway.

Internally, a drylining with or without insulation will make it as good as if not better than a solid 9" wall found on the majority of houses around the country

No but if it is new building work, it has to comply with the latest BC standards; as you say, it can be achieved but why would anyone want a 9 inch solid wall these days with god knows what insulation hung on the inside to get the U value up & keep the damp out; does anyone build like that anymore! I also doubt anyone would be silly enough to leave external blockwork unprotected!

A normal conseravatory does not have to conform to bregs.

In any case, why would you want to insulate the walls to anything better than the glass? The insulated walls provide very little benefit as the heat goes straight out the glass and roof which account for the majority of the external areas.

agree with woody on the inso' aspect, but in terms of damp prevention a 9" wall or better still, cavity wall would be beneficial.

cold spots are better avoided with insulated cavity walls too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back